October 21, 2010

It has almost been a month that I am in India... there are so many things I haven't shared. 

There is something fascinating about the people here, almost as contrasting as the look and feel of the cities.  You can have a luxurious store, where they sell the most expensive jewelry that is right beside the smallest store, a bit dirty, where they sell all sorts of cheap stuff.  Between the two, on the street, a few mini "stand" to sell you again, a little of everything.  And if they don't have what you could want to buy, they will tell you to come back later and they will find it for you.

The same way, people are extra polite at times, yet, some of the behaviors we would find "impolite" are part of there everyday living.  For example, when you go to the restaurant, guess house, hotels, etc... you are treated with Sir here, and Sir there, extra care and politeness.  Yet, when in a lineup at the grocery store, you better not leave to much space between you and the person in front or they will squeeze in before you.  I guess that behavior comes with the way the traffic is in the street.

When driving, cars, trucks, motorcycles, bikes, etc...  Just hunk and pass, who ever goes first and dares the most has the priority.  No stop signs or street priority, everyone just goes. Driving here is like driving in a video game, except you only have one life!!  On a red light there is a count down for when it'll get back to green, 5-7 seconds before the red is over, everyone starts to hunk and go.  And for any other intersection, where there is no signals, all four directions meets and squeeze in at the same time.  A little crazy we would think, yet, it seams to work.  Oh, lets not forget that one way streets are just a suggestion, most traffic will follow the one way, yet some will come against traffic anyways.

One other thing that strikes me here is that when you send an email about a service, for example yoga or massage courses, you can expect them to answer half of your questions at most.  Then you answer back, with the same unanswered questions, and again get half answered.  It might not be every time or everywhere, yet it has happen to me 3-4 times already.  And over the phone is similar, because of the language barrier, of course, but also because you feel like you are getting on there nerves with the questions.  Which is not the case I'm sure, just an impression, not sure actually.

Ok, now lets touch upon the neatness or cleanliness of things.  I expected way worst, so it is not to bad.  Yet, it is not to our standard.  For example, the hotel rooms are being cleaned everyday, after the client goes, I know, I see them do it.  Yet, it is never thoroughly done.  The toilet seat doesn't seam to be wash under it, just over it, and the rest of the toilet is barely washed (I'm talking about low rang guess house, not hi class hotels).  It would take just a few minutes more if done everyday, yet it doesn't seam to be part of the things to do.  You can have a lamp that is hanging with wires from the wall, must of been that way for a while since lots of dust on the wire, yet, that also seams to not be a priority.  And that is ok, of course, at $8 for a room, and it doesn't bother me, yet I can understand why some people say it is dirty here.  It is all about perception, they don't worry to much about the details.  The floor is clean, the bed is clean, the water is running and the toilet functioning, the curtains are almost falling, but they are still covering the window, all is good!  : )

Yesterday and the night before I had a gecko in my room, ran away as I took something of the floor.  Small and cute, didn't really care, if anything they eat bugs so I like them!

Just a note to make sure there is no bad interpretation of what I just wrote.  My goal was to compare with back home, not to criticize what I see here. I embrace the differences, this is why i cam here, yet I now also understand why some people can't do India.  I personally love it!

Thanks for reading!
lots of love your way!

Don't hesitate to comment, I love it!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sooooo getting what you mean by its a matter of perception. Before my trip to Cuba, I read some reviews of where I was going and you could've drawn a huge line in between total disatisfaction and complete bliss and fun. And just by reading the details the unhappy people would write, you can easily guess what kind of life they live...a miserable one to their perception. Tons of stupid details. For instance your geiko wouldve been scored as a big no no for them. Sooo true=perception. I have a collegue leaving for BC and he's going with wife and son, quitting RTL cuz its crazy here in Mtl (to his saying hes a bit right) But I tried to talk to him about perception and it was hard to be understood. He seemed dased and convinced that people are just not nice here....I left him saying, be nice, get nice and gave him a hug. He was even more confused ! Cant blame him. In my heart, Im still in Cuba, I am just so thankfull for my life and at the same time very sad of where we are collectively. But its a reassurance to meet people who just like us, know theres something more then money, work and fame and fortune...Love, peace, acceptance.
    I'm very happy to know you Charles, go on spreading your vibe and filling your hearth with this new society in India. Its funny how my ear buzz right now...maybe your thinking of me.

    Lotsa luv and positive thoughts torwards you man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles,

    Keep those posts coming. Allows me to dream a bit and travel...at least in my head!!

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Charles, It's so nice to be able to follow you through the blog!! I'm so happy tht you embrace the difference the way you do, it's the only way to enjoy India fully! You have shown great courge to leave and grab your dreams, I'm so proud of you!!
    I'm dissapointed that I could not come and visit you because of the Visa issue, but I promise I will before you go back to Canada. Keep the blog alive and tke good care buddy!!

    Thinking a lot about you!! Plenty of love in my meditations for you!

    Cheers.

    Manu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allo Charles! I love your blog! I am enjoying seeing India through your eyes. I also love your humour as usual. About the traffic, I have always been fascinated about how it can appear totally chaotic yet there is some organic order to it because as you said it works! Go figure!! I laughed about the comparison to driving in a video game but you only have one life! Thanks for your perspective on everything...love it!
    HUGS and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE
    Chantal

    ReplyDelete