November 16, 2010

My train ride to Kochi

I just arrived in Kochi, it is a rainy day, yet all is good.  I will be sharing a room with two beds today with a New Yorker I've met on the train.  It'll save me a bit of money and company is always good.  He has been traveling for a while too, mostly Europe, just got in India a week ago.


 
Two of three men with whom I talked with aboard the train.  Everyone seams fascinated about a white guy traveling alone!!!  They were from Kerala, the province I just arrived in.  So they were more than happy to share about the province and what I should do and see.  I made them happy also when I said that in my book it says:"There is India, and then there is Kerala!"

One of the men that were sharing my "room" on the train.  (There actually are rooms, with 4 beds instead of 6, with a door.  So less noisy, no people passing, at anytime of the night, to offer food, drinks or any nicnaks to sell.)

I don't like to show the dirty part of what I see sometimes, but I had to show this one.  When on the train, there is no garbage cans, people just trow it out the windows!!!  This morning, after a mini breakfast, I asked, what do I do with this?  To which I was told to trow it out the window!  I didn't, of course, I wanted for the next stop, went out to the garbage can on the deck, then back in the train!  I can make a difference!!!  (smile)  I could also add that when you go to the bathroom, you see the light in the bottom of the toilet, cause it is going... you guessed it, directly on the railway track!!!


This is a sleeper class train, no AC, lots of fans and air from windows is fine!  So I got to sleep as well as in any guest house, 480Rs for the ride, during the night.  So for just a few Rs more then a room I also traveled 654Km during my sleep.  It was comfortable, plus I have met a guy from NYC with whom we decided to share the room for tonight, so more savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment