January 07, 2011

Wow!  Where to start… so many moments from the last few days are worth sharing.  Varanasi was an amazing city and experience, filled with spiritual sites and moments, beautiful people, “real” Indian life style and scene.

The tourist part of Varanasi is close to the Gange, the holy river – a tear from Shiva is believed to have created this river which is believed to have incredible healing power.  On a scientific point of view it has been studied and certain minerals contained in this water gives it purifying properties that could explain some of the power that it has been attributed.  Never the less, it has created a cultural believe that this place is holy and that this river is its reason.  Indians come to die in Varanasi so they can be burned by the side of the Gange river.  There is two crematoriums where bodies are burned 24/7, the price of the incineration being different depending on the quantity of wood used and which type of wood that is being used, some wood being “holier” then others.  The belief is that by dying and being burned in Varanasi will end the cycle of reincarnation, thus freeing you from the human life to the next step of spiritual evolution.

So I did go and see the body being burned, which is a really disturbing scene, yet I have to say it didn’t really disturbed me the way I had thought it would.  I was somewhat at peace with the whole process, understanding that this was spiritual allowed me to go inside and feel privilege to be allowed to watch.  I have always felt then once dead it is only a body, I often said that once I die I don’t care what happens with my body, and I have never been afraid of dying either, so I guess it didn’t get to me the same way it got to some of the people I spoke with about it since I am in India.

Aside from the burning bodies and all the beauty of the shores of the Gange, the rest of Varanasi seems to be filled with untouched India, by that I mean not changed by the tourist coming and creating new shops, services, and even culture.  I mean, we can say that being hassled by shop keepers, rickshaw drivers and beggars is what we don’t like about India, but an Indian guy helped me understand this.  He said, this didn’t exist in our culture until tourists have started to come here and spending money.  Keeping that in mind it changes a bit of the way we can look at the culture we have created.  Also, we could complain about the fact that they will tell you any lie to get to your money, but again, this country has been invaded by westerners so many times in history and have been exploited by us so much that it almost just seems fair that they would feel ok cheating us to get a bit more money out of our pockets.

I have visited a silk factory, a man offered to show me “his” workers at work, in his mini factory, where I was able to take beautiful pictures (to come soon) and learn about the fabrication of silk, how to identify it is real silk, etc.  After that, he invited us (with Jeffrey) to his house for chai (tea), where he showed us many product of his factory.  Of course, all of what preceded was the sales pitch; we of course bought some of his products.  (two gifts for two special women in my life were purchased there, one being my sister the other one being my grand-ma)

I will have to stop here for today, but this doesn’t began to tell about Varanasi.  I am currently in Agra, where the Taj Mahal is, which I have visited yesterday, so more stories and lots more pictures to come, soon, I promise.

Lots of love your way,
I am filled with gratitude, inner peace, feel lucky and blessed by the Universe or God!
Metta!
I love you!


On the train to Varanasi, morning fog... really cold!

The Gange - so much color around it, such a gray river (so poluted by now)


He gave me a 15 minute massage, on the side of the road, he was good, sweaty by the time he was done.  It was a cool day, so no oil of course.


Muslim boy, wanted me to take his picture.  Something about the pride in having a forener, or white guy wanting to take hsi picture.  He didn't even ask for money!

From the roof of our hotel!



Again, I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment