January 19, 2011

Thailand... road to Chiang Mai

We have just arrived at Chiang Mai, after a 10.5 hour bus ride, including a 20 minute stop for food.  Mmm… Thai soups, I adore!  

So I went to get Erik at the airport last night, his flight was delayed of 2.5 hours and it seems no one knew, when I called the airline I was told it was on time.  So I waited at arrival gate a very long time, but that was all fine, he made it safe.  We headed back to the room, then we went for a soup on the street not too far.  Today we have visited a few sites of interest, like a temple with 108 different Buddha statues, one of them being the biggest reclining Buddha, 46 meters long, 15 meters high.  We have taken the sky train, and a boat bus to get there, which were both very nice.  On the boat Erik suggested we should get on the bridge in the front, where there was no one, and to me might have seem like we were not suppose to go.  But the worst that would happen it being told we are not allowed, so we chanced it.  Of course, since they let us, a few people followed.  The view was much nicer from there then from a seat on the boat, which has a roof and some windows, and we had a nice breeze, it was a great suggestion.

On the bridge there was a guy from Hong Kong wearing a “free hug” t-shirt, so Erik went and gave him a hug, which generated a few smiles from the rest of the people on the bridge.  It was a nice moment, even more so because he had just gotten that t-shirt and was wearing it for the first time.  Erik asked him if he knew about the free hug video on youtube, which he didn’t so he recommended that he watch it.  If you don’t know about the free hugs campaign and video, I recommend a youtube querry now (or click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4)  it is worth the 4 minutes, plus the song is beautiful.

So I will be starting my Thai massage training today, I am very excited!  Two days ago as I was searching the web to get the address and info about the school I came across more comments about this teacher, everyone seems to love him.  I am sure it will be amazing learning, plus I missed it, I need to give a good Thai massage soon.
 
On the road to Chiang Mai and arriving in Chiang Mai, I am still surprised about how everything is modern and clean.  I think I was expecting to find more of the India look and feel as I would leave Bangkok.  Not that I had thought about it, just what I got use to see in India I guess.  Villages, small improvised houses and shops, old cars, dusty roads, people walking, rickshaws passing by and honking, etc…  Instead, it is a similar look and feel as we would get at home, with big gas stations, modern 24 hours stores, clean and large highways, and a nice big bus station.  It is a beautiful city, calmed yet ready for the tourists.  I am loving it!


Lots of love your way!
Big hugs!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment